Thursday, March 24, 2011


Los Angeles, the big city.  Coming from a place like Circle, MT to Fort Collins, CO- Well even that was a bit of a culture shock although I had traveled to every state on the west side of the U.S. wholesaling for 3 years prior to the move.

Circle, Mt (http://www.circle-montana.com/circle.html) is the farming community where I grew up mainly- From the age of 5 until around 12-13 I believe.  A place where my adopted mom recently reminded me had articles in the newspaper such as "So and so family had the So and so family over for dinner. Their cousin So and So was visiting. They served Such and Such for dinner. A good time was had by all."  I'll never forget the smell of the air first thing in the morning, especially when our 20 some lilac bushes were in bloom. The feel of the wind in my hair as I coasted down a favored sandy hill nearby with the wheat fields rushing past and my toes out in the air. The never ending exploring to do on the acres and acres of land and just.... the safety of it all.  It was a great place to grow up.  Could I live there now? Well yes, but I certainly do not want to.

Fort Collins, the people and the mountains, that is what I miss the most.  I know, I know. You irate CA people can tell me up and down these are mountains- I'm prepared to eventually get harassed over this comment- but these are not my mountains.  There is no Poudre river here a half hour drive with hiking trails and many great places to go cliff jumping, go tubing, bbq, get lost in the wild peace of it all and not worry about locking your car door.  No Horsetooth Resevoir, nor falls, nor moonlight hikes.  No smiling people wherever you go.  Making eye contact will engage a friendly conversation- even if it's just your local Mugs barista.  Silly new college hoodlums flooding the roads 1-2 times and all of the "locals" complaining they do not know how to drive.  Old town, beloved old town, I will always miss the random dance parties and the hodge podge of people who all come out for an evening of fun.


But LA, I find I fit in here. I look out off the back patio and check out the skyscrapers and I do not feel small. Perhaps it has something to do with my ability to adapt well. Perhaps I am just growing and thus need a larger place to rest my head at night. (Insert Big Ego joke here) I have yet to explore you but I have discovered you. I find you beautiful in your own way and I am enjoying our budding friendship.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The mountains in AZ aren't the same either..

Just Call me V said...

Agreed Sir Rock$tar

Unknown said...

Such truth in how you see Fort Collins/surrounding areas.